WELCOME TO THE NEW 2014
USE THE NEW LINKS BELOW:
GOOD PLACE FOR GLOBES AND ORBS PIX AND THIS MAY BE WHY!!
Mars Hill: A Local Legacy
By Jody Bresch - Mars Hill
Church lies off the beaten path seven miles southeast of Ottumwa on a forested ridge near
the Des Moines River.
However, 145 years ago when
the old log church was built in 1856, it was on one of the main thoroughfares through
south central Iowa. That gravel road that passes in front of Mars Hill Church is today the
dividing line between Wapello and Davis Counties. The church building and cemetery were
built on the Wapello County side of that line on property donated to the Baptist Church by
a Mrs. Barbara Clark.
Thomas and Barbara Clark
arrived in south central Iowa in 1846. They traveled with their eight children by
riverboat up the Mississippi to Burlington, and then by covered wagon to the Des Moines
River. When they arrived, the river valley was under spring floodwaters, so they were
attracted to the rock bluff above the surging currents. They paid $63.50 for 50 acres and
a fraction of land. Unfortunately, John Clark, the youngest of the Clark's eight children,
died shortly after they arrived. In 1846 there was no cemetery, so Barbara Clark donated a
plot of land to the Baptists with the provision that the Baptists build a church and
cemetery on it. That is why the church was built in 1856, but the land wasn't deeded over
until May 22, 1857.
Reva Rupe, the custodian of
the property, is the great-granddaughter of Abraham Smock, the first minister at Mars
Hills Church. Reva says that 35 members of the congregation formed the 7th Iowa Calvary in
1862 and left to serve in the Civil War. The church was closed at that time, and did not
reopen until after the war.
Margaret Thrall wrote about
the church in documents prepared for the Wapello County Historical Society: It (Mars Hill
Church) was one of the stations on the underground railway system used by Northerners to
aid the Negroes in making their way North and (to) freedom. The Negroes were hidden in the
timber by day, and then assembled at the church for further transportation. John Brown of
Harper's Ferry fame is supposed to have hidden two wagonloads of slaves there during the
On September 13, 1974, Mars
Hill was entered in the State of Iowa Register of Historic Places. A document sent to the
National Park Service of Washington D.C., a division of the United States Department of
the Interior said, local tradition has it that the Mars Hill Church was used as a hiding
place during the Civil War as part of the Underground Railroad.
In the late 1970s, occult
activities surfaced in south central Iowa, and unfortunately, Mars Hill Church was the
site of some of it. In June of 1985, Reva Rupe found a mutilated black cat hanging over
the church altar. Satanic crosses and symbols had been painted in blood on the walls.
Historic tombstones were broken off. Pews were stacked and set on fire inside the church.
Later, vandals drug the remaining pews out into the lawn in front of the church, stacked
them and set them on fire. Fortunately the church itself didn't burn as a result of either
of these incidences While application was made to the National Parks Service to have Mars
Hill Church listed on the National Parks Service's Trail of Stations on the Underground
Railroad in the spring of 2001, so far the application has been rejected. Oral tradition
is an important part of any community's history, but the committee is looking for written
documentation, Bible entries, personal diaries, or letters that describe specific
incidences of Underground Railroad Activity.
NOTE FROM WEBMASTER PAUL:
THIS AREA IS TOO COOL!! THERE ARE MANY CEMETERIES IN THE GHOST TOWNS OF IOWA... TRY PIX AT NIGHT WITH FLASH!! EVEN YOU MAY GET A FEW ORBS!! OR EVEN THE TOO COOL PHANTOM FOG!!
ALSO TIME TRAVEL MACHINES AND INFO!!